none of the solutions I've read (rc.local, system service, .bashrc) worked for me.
So if you have the SimVimPanel folder in /home/pi/ do the following:
Open a terminal and make sure you are in your home folder (/home/pi) and then enter:
Put the following two lines at the very end of this file:
Save the file with <cntrl>o and exit >cntrl>x
After reboot the raspberry should autostart into SimVimPanel and have fun.
There is one thing I have not done yet and that is disabling the screensaver function.
1. Open a terminal and make sure you are in /home/pi
2. Create a file with:
3. Enter the following two lines:
4. Save the file and exit nano
5. Make the file executable:
chmod 755 start_simvim.sh
6. To autostart and make sure the display does not go blank after a few minutes do the following in the open terminal:
sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
7. Comment the line starting with @lxpanel... (put a # in front)
8. Add the following at the end of this file:
@xset -dpms s off
9. Save and exit, then reboot
This solution worked for me. In case you stop SimVimPanel by pressing the ESC button this solution hides the menubar on the desktop. If you want to do anything else in this situation, you can right click on the waste basket and open the filemanager and start a bash terminal from /bin as an example.